Friday, January 25, 2008

Books! That I picked!

Hello FTC!
These may be a bit random.


Wuthering Heights, 1847, Emily Bronte
I almost hate to choose this because I bet everyone has terrible memories of their respective 11th grade English classes. (If too many of you have read it in class, let me know in the comments so I can pick something else.) I didn't read this in high school; I read it later, for fun. I didn't find it fun, though, because I was unprepared for how savage and pathologically vengeful it is.


Kafka on the shore, 2002, Haruki Murakami
This author has been on my to-read list for awhile.


Miss Lonelyhearts, 1933, Nathanael West
I have to admit that I discovered this book on one of those lists, the sort that are titled "342.7 of the very best books ever written in this universe or any other that you must read before you die." I have a good feeling about it.

2 comments:

Blair said...

Oh dear. I LOVE LOVE LOVE Wuthering Heights, but I have studied it extensively in two of my favorite classes ever. (For the record, Trevanna was in one of those classes, too.)

Greg said...

Did you know Nathanael West went to Tufts and hated it so much he transferred to Brown by stealing the transcript of another Nathanael West? Day of the Locust was good (and has a character named Homer Simpson). And I hated Wuthering Heights in 10th grade, but maybe things have changed.